Black and White and Red All Over Quilt (part 10)

Before I get into patchwork I want to say a big hello to all my new readers (and of course hello to my long-term readers!). Hello! It is so nice when my inbox pings to tell me that more people want to read my thoughts, and it was especially nice to re-meet Tania on Saturday who was wearing a dress made after reading my Cambie FBA tutorial 🙂 I am almost at 100 WordPress subscribers so there may be a celebratory give-away coming up soon….

Drum-roll please… here are the final two blocks for my Craftsy Block of the Month sampler quilt!

Left until the very end, because they looked tricky to cut and tricky to sew, are the curved piece blocks. Amy recommends buying these templates but I really wasn’t sure how much I’d enjoy these blocks and be desperate to make more of them, so I just printed off her templates and stuck them onto an old thick box. This worked pretty well with no injuries to myself or the pieces, but was still a hassle to cut them out (especially cutting all the waste from the L-shaped black pieces). Joining the curves wasn’t easy, but was not as tricky as anticipated – I actually pinned thoroughly on these blocks – and if you are a dress-maker who can sew princess seams then they should be pretty straightforward (it is just the tiny size that makes them tricky).

Well the first block was The Chain and is a variation on the classic Drunkard’s Path patchwork. Once all the individual units were sewn there was a bit of thought needed to position all the squares. Again there were lots of seams so I chose black for the background (also looking at the balance of all the blocks, I did not need any more white). The finally design is fun but still pretty calm at the same time, and it was great to only have to worry about nesting the corners of the blocks.

drunkardThe Chain Blockcleopatra puzzleCleopatra’s Puzzle Block

The final block I made was Cleopatra’s puzzle and it was definitely a puzzle to cut and sew. Maybe if I had done the corners in black as well the cutting would have been easier, but I was thinking about the overall balance of the whole quilt and didn’t want a “plain” two-print block. I really like the look of this block and the impact of the colours I chose; I was not so keen on the construction of it, especially trying to match two curved seams.

So that makes twenty different patchwork sampler blocks! I am still trying to be good and rest my wrists, but luckily I have plenty of un-blogged makes and recipes to keep you entertained for a few more weeks until I can get back to crafting again *fingers-crossed*

Other posts in the series:
Part 1 – Slashed Blocks
Part 2 – Half-Square Triangles
Part 3 – Nine-Patch Blocks
Part 4 – Star Blocks
Part 5 – Dresden Block
Part 6 – Hexagons
Part 7 – Log Cabins
Part 8 – Foundation Piecing
Part 9 – Foundation Paper Piecing

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s