It has been a long time since I worked on my Craftsy quilt. I started some free-motion quilting in the summer holidays, then got into garment sewing but I have been inspired to hurry up and finish after seeing the fabric I had my eye on (Stof Uno in grey and aqua) for my next quilt on sale!
Trying to decide on a design for my next quilt (yes, I know I haven’t finished this one yet!) I was thinking about which blocks and techniques I enjoyed and liked the best during the Craftsy Block of the Month (BOM). Here are my thoughts (or I think you can download it here for a clearer image).
I have scored various aspects of the making process and given each method a score for the look and enjoyment; The winners for me are the slashed blocks (super easy and lots of impact), foundation pieced blocks (random strings of fabric made it fun and relaxing to sew), and foundation paper piecing (looks trickier than it is, but paper guidelines make it easy to sew accurately). These are my personal preferences; I like bold designs, not too busy and fiddly, and definitely prefer an easier sewing project if I’m going to make a full-sized quilt.
Before I get into patchwork I want to say a big hello to all my new readers (and of course hello to my long-term readers!). Hello! It is so nice when my inbox pings to tell me that more people want to read my thoughts, and it was especially nice to re-meet Tania on Saturday who was wearing a dress made after reading my Cambie FBA tutorial 🙂 I am almost at 100 WordPress subscribers so there may be a celebratory give-away coming up soon….
Drum-roll please… here are the final two blocks for my Craftsy Block of the Month sampler quilt!
Left until the very end, because they looked tricky to cut and tricky to sew, are the curved piece blocks. Amy recommends buying these templates but I really wasn’t sure how much I’d enjoy these blocks and be desperate to make more of them, so I just printed off her templates and stuck them onto an old thick box. This worked pretty well with no injuries to myself or the pieces, but was still a hassle to cut them out (especially cutting all the waste from the L-shaped black pieces). Joining the curves wasn’t easy, but was not as tricky as anticipated – I actually pinned thoroughly on these blocks – and if you are a dress-maker who can sew princess seams then they should be pretty straightforward (it is just the tiny size that makes them tricky).
Well the first block was The Chain and is a variation on the classic Drunkard’s Path patchwork. Once all the individual units were sewn there was a bit of thought needed to position all the squares. Again there were lots of seams so I chose black for the background (also looking at the balance of all the blocks, I did not need any more white). The finally design is fun but still pretty calm at the same time, and it was great to only have to worry about nesting the corners of the blocks.
The Chain BlockCleopatra’s Puzzle Block
The final block I made was Cleopatra’s puzzle and it was definitely a puzzle to cut and sew. Maybe if I had done the corners in black as well the cutting would have been easier, but I was thinking about the overall balance of the whole quilt and didn’t want a “plain” two-print block. I really like the look of this block and the impact of the colours I chose; I was not so keen on the construction of it, especially trying to match two curved seams.
So that makes twenty different patchwork sampler blocks! I am still trying to be good and rest my wrists, but luckily I have plenty of un-blogged makes and recipes to keep you entertained for a few more weeks until I can get back to crafting again *fingers-crossed*